- Pasta - leftover, uncooked or cooked
- Diced Mushrooms (leftover cooked meat would also work well)
- Sprinkle of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 finely chopped shallot or a bit of leftover onion
- Dry white wine or chicken stock
- Leftover salad greens (I used the spinach and arugula I didn't use in last night's salad)
- Pecorino or parmesan cheese
In a separate skillet, heat some oil and cook the shallots until fragrant and transparent. Add the mushrooms, season with a bit of salt and pepper, and cook until they release their juices. If your salad greens are undressed and raw, add them at this time. (I used arugula and spinach.) Remember that greens will wilt when cooked, so be very liberal with them!
Pour about 1/2 cup of white wine or chicken stock evenly over the mixture and stir until visibly reduced. Sprinkle sun-dried tomatoes and stir until heated through.
Combine mixture with pasta and stir. I served this with pecorino cheese because it complements the peppery flavor of arugula. JT added red pepper flakes to give his a little spice.