Tuesday, July 21, 2009

numbers, a route, a story, a lesson, and a plan

My day in numbers:

Miles driven: ~100 (Google says 91, but I have no idea where on the map I was when I turned off the highway to replenish my fuel light and several Lost Miles ensued.)

Wake up time: 0535 a.m.

Work arrival time: 0700 a.m.

Goals set for this week: 928329

Miles run today: 0

Miles run this week: 6

Time I realized that today was not, in fact, Monday: 3:00 p.m.

Trips to the airport: 2

My route*:

*Does not include random gas station somewhere off the highway and ensuing miles of lost.

My story:

JT was supposed to leave for his fantastic backpacking trip today. But the rain we enjoyed in the wee hours of this morning made for costly flight delays that made him miss the one flight to the remote town in Colorado into which he was supposed to fly. He couldn't go tomorrow because the train into the mountains that held his friends left today.

So after waking up yea early, working for several hours, I returned to the aeropuerto to pick up a very sad man whose friends had to leave without him. I took him to lunch at Chic-fil-A, where we ran into one friend we'd just spent time with the previous evening, and another person I only know via Andrea Cherie's Facebook pictures, Little Guy!

My lesson:

I'm a very blessed girl today. Isn't it weird how you can miss someone after only a few hours if you have the idea that they're hundreds of miles away? Even though I had plans to get tons accomplished whilst he was gone, when I saw him, it was as if he'd actually been on the trip and I had this renewed sense of something for him. I came home and cooked him a ragout dinner I'd been imagining all day, which he said was one of the best I've ever made him. Score! (I will share the recipe soon: it's easy, super healthy, and delicious!)

As I was driving to the airport for the second time (somewhere between C and D above), I came to the realization that even though all of this spare alone time would have afforded me the chance to catch up with friends, reading, writing, etc -- things that I normally don't do much of when JT is here -- I decided I am going to use this week to discover a balance for the rest of my life. I can still find time to make diaper cakes (I'm attending my first baby shower ever this weekend), write the next Great American Novel, cook dinner, and love on my husband IF and only IF I make the absolute best of my non-working, non-sleeping time.

My plan:

Lists. And lots of them. Even if I have to add things I've already done just so I can cross things off. The first of which is Things to do This Week:
  • Go to craft store for diaper cake materials (I already have diapers!)
  • Organize tupperware cabinet
  • Obtain new bedtime book (this book)
  • Teach myself how to use our expensive Canon 40D
It's not so bad when you don't bite off more than you can chew. But in case you didn't notice my wake up time this morning, it's definitely not non-sleeping time right now!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I just read that! As soon as I saw the preview for it I ran right out to the bookstore after the movie was over and bought it. I read it in 2 days! Funny enough I found a list of books I want to read while packing and this book was on it. The list is from like years ago! So excited to hear what you think :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...