Sunday, May 10, 2009

a mini date

This weekend, my BFF came into town. We had a long overdue weekend to ourselves, where we watched our favorite movies, shopped a little, went to see a chick flick, and in general, got to pretend we live in the same place for the first time in a long time!

But on Saturday morning after a plateful of hot pancakes and bacon, while she got up and dressed for the day, JT and I stole away for a mini date. We walked in the sprinkling rain through our small town's annual parade (We live right off Main Street/downtown), eventually found our way to the brand new Farmer's Market, where JT bought me a fresh bouquet of scallions.

On the way home, though, I had my very first experience of La Nouveau, the little chocolate shop on Main Street, owned by a woman from Belgium. We bought chocolates for our mothers, brushed up on the few French words we know (and butchered the pronunciations like none other), and bought a truffle for ourselves and LJ. The owner was charming with a beautiful French accent and a handsome older teenage boy spinning chocolate and dipping strawberries behind a clear glass window. It was idyllic, to say the least!

Our hour-long date made me feel like I was in another country -- France, maybe -- where you walk to get places and can buy fresh, locally-grown ingredients right outside your chateau :)

Thank you, JT!

1 comment:

  1. Fun! Sounds like a great way to start the day! I'm not allowed to go into the chocolate store anymore, and as I sit here eating a slice of coconut cream pie for breakfast, I think I probably am not allowed to go in to Spanky's anymore either, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...