Thursday, May 6, 2010

live-it

 symbolic of the upcoming weekend
of moving/unpacking/etc
wish we were going to be here!

Yesterday, I decided to skip my run. 

Our final walk-through on our new house didn't finish until about 6:30 and by that time, I was tired and hungry, so I decided I'd rather have a really good workout the next day than two mediocre runs in a row.

Somewhat motivated, I signed up for the 6:00 a.m. Cardio Reformer/Tower Strength class at my Pilates studio, a perfect double whammy of cardio and resistance strength training that I've grown to love. When I saw who was teaching it, I cringed a little, because even though I really love Cindy, she sure knows how to kick a girl's butt, if you know what I mean.

When my alarm went off at 5:15 this morning, I was surprisingly alert and ready for class. I even got there a few minutes early and claimed my usual reformer, the second from the far wall. But when Cindy and Co. arrived, she announced that since two of the reformers were down, we were going to improvise and have a little spin class.

Um...what?

During my first and only spin class a few months ago, I almost threw up, was drenched in sweat, and my hiney was so sore I couldn't sit properly for a few days. So needless to say, I have been sticking with my usual class, which is enough of a challenge for me as it is. I was caught off guard, but came ready to play -- well, as ready to play as I can be when you don't have the proper shoes. (Reformer is like a horizontal trampoline with resistance springs, so we can't wear shoes.)

The elusive Julie was mentioned again today, a woman who has apparently lost 50 pounds by doing these hormone injections. My instructor expressed a little disappointment when she heard that, and I agree with her belief that someone should have a foundation of healthy lifestyle habits before they go for the easy fix, whether it's liposuction, gastric bypass, or weight loss substances.

And then I went off.

"I feel like I've been on a DIET my whole LIFE," I said, pedaling into a furious revery. "And the keyword in diet is DIE!"

"Yeah!" my equally furious classmates said. "You're right!"

Their encouragement and our feverish pedaling only fueled my fire. "I'm tired of DIE-Ts. Why can't we change our lifestyles and making it about living? I want to go on a LIVE-it!"

Onward I march, friends. Only it will be more of a stumble most of the time, I recognize. I'd love to know your thoughts, tips, efforts, and practices toward a healthy lifestyle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...